Apple & Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
We found this delicious healthy breakfast recipe on Fiver Heart Home and had to share it as it will instantly change up your breakfast routine. The recipe make for a healthy breakfast and has many benefits, including the use of cinnamon one of your favourite spices due to it’s antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits.
Other benefits are that baked oatmeal is quick and easy to make ahead of time which is perfect if you start your day early in need to get the out the door quickly.
And two, it can double as a snack or even a healthy dessert. You could warm and treat yourself with a little cream or yoghurt on the side.
And last but definitely not least, it’s wholesome and filling so throw it in the kids lunch box
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced apples, about 1 medium apple
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk OR almond milk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly grease (or spray with nonstick cooking spray) an 8- by 8-inch glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt. Mix in diced apples, applesauce, milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir in coconut oil until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until set and light golden brown on top. Allow to cool in the baking dish for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with optional garnishes, such as warm milk drizzled over the top and additional chopped walnuts.