To celebrate Australia Day, we are sharing a delicious healthy lamington recipe by Teresa Cutter from The Healthy Chef (a must-visit website for healthy recipe ideas). Adding raspberries to the inner cake layer is a delicious inclusion plus the recipe is gluten free, dairy free and nut free. It’s a win win win.
Makes 24 squares
- 6 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or sweetener of your choice (organic maple syrup, few drops stevia etc)
- ¼ cup (60 ml / 2 fl oz) macadamia nut oil or your choice of (cold-pressed coconut oil, butter or olive oil)
- ½ cup (70 g / 2 ½ oz) coconut flour (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 cup (150 g / 5 ¼ oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup (75 g / 2 ½ oz) shredded or desiccated coconut for rolling
- 100 g good quality dark eating chocolate 70% cocoa – finely chopped
- 100 ml coconut milk or pouring cream
- Preheat your oven to 160°C / 320°F.
- Whip the eggs, vanilla and honey for 10 minutes until light and creamy.
- Pour in the macadamia nut oil with the eggs still whipping and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Pour lamington cake mix into a square 22 cm baking tin lined completely with baking paper.
- Sprinkle the raspberries evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool for 30 minutes before lifting out from the tin to completely cool.
- Divide cake into 25 mini squares.
Make your chocolate ganache:
- Heat the cream or coconut milk in a small pan until almost boiling. Turn off the heat.
- Add the chocolate and allow to sit for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Stir the mix until you have a smooth silky ganache.
- Spread or dip each square of leamington with a little chocolate ganache.
- Roll in coconut and place onto a tray lined with baking paper to set.